JTC 1 is committed to developing, maintaining, promoting and facilitating information technology (IT) standards required by global markets meeting business and user requirements. The standards apply to the following areas:
- Design and development of IT systems and tools
- Performance and quality of IT products and systems
- Security of IT systems and information
- Portability of application programs
- Interoperability of IT products and systems
- Unified tools and environments
- Harmonized IT vocabulary
- User friendly and ergonomically designed user interfaces
- JTC 1 standards development will be conducted with full attention to a strong business-like approach (e.g., cost effective, short development times, market-oriented results).
- JTC 1 will provide a wide range of quality products and services, within its scope and mission, to cover identified global needs.
- The JTC 1 community will actively promote the use of its products and services and the timely implementation of JTC 1 standards within the form of useful products on a worldwide basis.
- JTC 1 will ensure that its user needs including multicultural requirements, are fully met, such that its products and services promote international trade.
- JTC 1 recognizes the value of the work of other organizations and the contribution they make to international IT standardization and will complement existing and forthcoming JTC 1 programs through other leading edge activity with the objective of providing the best standards worldwide.
- JTC 1 will provide a standards development environment which attracts technical experts and users having identified standardization needs.
In 2012, JTC 1 celebrated 25 years as a successful standards development body. Read what Lisa Rajchel, the secretariat, said about this momentous milestone.
Currently, there are 2569 published ISO standards, including updates, related to technical committees and its standing committees worldwide. The JTCT 1 is directly responsible for 330 published standards, including updates.
JTC 1 establishes Incubator Groups for a period of one year to investigate new standardization opportunities. Any information technology areas worthy of greater study are considered.
More information about JTC 1
JTC 1_Value_Proposition (PDF, 127 kB)
Long term business plan (PDF, 76 kB)