JTC 1/SC 39
Sustainability, IT & Data Centres
Revision May 2019
JTC 1/SC 39 was established during the November 2011 Plenary of JTC 1 in Resolution 27, New JTC 1 Subcommittee on Sustainability for and by Information Technology. Resolution 27 also approved the United States to serve as Secretariat for the committee, and Mr John Calhoon, US, to serve as acting chairman. At the inception of the Committee, Ms Sally Seitz, ANSI, had served as JTC 1/SC 39 Secretary until 2015, when Ms Michelle Maas-Deane who now holds the position, assumed the role.
JTC1 SC 39 Meetings
JTC 1/SC 39 held its first meeting 12-14 June 2012 in Redwood Shores, California. The meeting resolutions are available in document JTC 1 N 11145. At that meeting, JTC 1/SC 39 members approved the following scope of the committee (Resolution 1):
“Standardization related to the intersection of resource efficiency and IT which supports environmentally and economically viable development, application, operation and management aspects.
JTC 1/SC 39 also confirmed the US nomination of Mr Jay Taylor, US, to serve as the Chairman of the committee (Resolution 17).
JTC 1/SC 39 held its second meeting 23-24 May 2013 in Dublin, Ireland.
JTC 1/SC 39 held its third meeting 15-16 May 2014 in Busan, Republic of Korea
JTC 1/SC 39 held its fourth meeting 24-25 June 2015 in Bagnolet, France
JTC 1/SC 39 held its fifth meeting 23-24 June 2016 in Frankfurt, Germany
JTC 1/SC 39 held its sixth meeting 17-18 May 2017 in Sunnyvale, California, US
JTC 1/SC 39 held its seventh meeting 18 May 2018 in Delft, Netherlands
JTC 1/SC 39 holds its eighth meeting 13 May 2019 in Yokohama, Japan
JTC1 SC 39 Liaisons:
The Green Grid
ITU-T SG 5, Environment and climate change
CENELEC TC 215, Electrotechnical aspects of telecommunications equipment
ETSI to ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 39/WG 1
To avoid any duplication of work and to support innovation, SC 39 will engage in active liaison and collaboration with:
- Other JTC 1 entities
- ISO TC 297, ISO TC 242, ISO TC 257
- IEC TC 100, IEC TC 108, IEC TC 111, SMB SG 4, IEC/PC 118, IEC TC 57/WG 21, IEC TC 8, and SMB SG 3
- ITU-T SG 5; and
- Any other appropriate body including external organizations (e.g. consortia)
At the first Plenary, JTC 1/SC 39 established the following two Working Groups, and a third working group was established in 2016:
JTC 1/SC 39/WG 1 – Resource Efficient Data
Terms of Reference:
- Development of a data centre resource efficiency taxonomy, vocabulary, and maturity model;
- Development of a holistic suite of metrics and Key Performance Indicators for data centres;
- Development of guidance for resource efficient data centres; and
- Development of an energy management system standard specifically tailored for data centres.
- ISO/IEC 30131, Information technology – Data Centres – Taxonomy and Maturity Model
- ISO/IEC 30133, Best Practices for Green Data Centres
- ISO/IEC 30134-1, Information technology – Data Centres – Key Performance Indicatory – Part 1: Overview and General Requirements
- ISO/IEC 30134-2, Information technology – Data Centres – Key Performance Indicatory – Part 2: Power Usage Effectiveness (PUE)
Convener: Mr Henry Wong, US
JTC 1/SC 39/WG 2 – Green ICT (Disbanded Resolution 83 – Sunnyvale, CA, USA)
Terms of Reference:
Prepare guidance for the development of energy efficient ICT excluding the scope of JTC 1/SC 39/WG 1, Resource Efficient Data Centres.
- ISO/IEC 30132, Information technology – IT Sustainability – Guidance for the Development of Energy Efficient ICT Products
Convener: Mr Yong-Woon Kim, KR
JTC 1/SC 39/WG 3 – Sustainable facilities and infrastructures
Terms of Reference:
Convenor Mr Jens Dittrich
ISO/JTC 1/SC 39 National Membership
P-Member Bodies – 21
Republic of Korea
Tanzania, United Republic of
‘O-Member Bodies – 10
Iran, Islamic Republic of
Both the JTC 1/SC 39 Working Groups and the Study Group on Gap Analysis have met in conjunction with the Plenary meeting, and also hold additional face to face meetings and teleconferences in between.