ISO/IEC JTC 1/WG 12
“3D Printing and Scanning”
Revision May 2019
2016-11, ISO/IEC JTC 1 31st Plenary in Lillehammer, Norway
Before the establishment of WG 12, to understand the state of standardization and to explore a possible role for JTC 1, JTC 1 established Study Group on 3D Printing and Scanning which directly report to JTC 1 at the 31st ISO/IEC JTC 1 Plenary. JTC 1 appointed Byoung Nam Lee as a Study Group Convenor and confirmed following Terms of Reference.
1) Provide a description of key concepts related to 3D Printing and Scanning and describe relevant terminology.
2) Study and document the technological, market and related societal requirements for the future ICT standardization on 3D Printing and Scanning.
3) Study and document current technologies that are being deployed to enable 3D Printing and Scanning.
4) Promote the awareness of the importance of JTC 1 activities on 3D Printing and Scanning outside JTC 1.
5) Assess the current state of standardization activities relevant to 3D Printing and Scanning within JTC 1, in other relevant ISO and IEC TCs, in other SDOs and in consortia.
6) Identify and propose how JTC 1 should address the ICT standardization needs of 3D Printing and Scanning.
7) Provide progress reports to the JAG and report with recommendations, and potentially one or more drafts NWIPs, to the 2017 JTC 1 Plenary
All the documents that produced by Study Group 3 are accessible at the following ISO/IEC JTC 1 website:
2017-10 ISO/IEC JTC 1 32nd Plenary in Vladivostok, Russia
As per Resolution 11 from the 32nd Meeting of ISO/IEC JTC 1 Plenary (October 2017 in Vladivostok, Russia), JTC 1 established a WG 12 on 3D Printing and Scanning contingent upon approval of a relevant NWIP.
2018-8 Official announcement of the establishment of JTC 1/WG 12 from SoV document
(ISO/IEC JTC 1 N13852, Summary of Voting on NP 23510)
JTC 1 announced officially establishment of WG 12 on 3D Printing and Scanning according to the SoV document. (ISO/IEC JTC 1 N13852)
In the 32nd JTC 1 Plenary, JTC 1 WG 12 has been established with following Terms of reference.
1) Serve as a focus of and proponent for JTC 1’s standardization program on 3D Printing and Scanning.
2) Develop ICT related foundational standards for 3D Printing and Scanning upon which other standards can be developed.
3) Develop other 3D Printing and Scanning standards that are built upon the foundational standards when relevant ISO and IEC committees that could address these standards do not exist or are unable to develop them.
4) Identify gaps and opportunities in 3D Printing and Scanning standardization.
5) Develop and maintain liaisons with all relevant ISO and IEC committees as well as with external organizations that have interests in 3D Printing and Scanning.
6) Engage with 3D Printing and Scanning communities to raise awareness of JTC 1 standardization efforts and provide an open platform for discussion and further cooperation.
7) Develop and maintain a list of existing 3D Printing and Scanning standards produced and standards development projects underway in ISO TCs, IEC TCs and JTC 1.
Convenor: Dr. Byoung Nam Lee
Secretary: Ms. Yaeseul Park
JTC 1/WG 12 established Ad Hoc Group (AHG) 1 on 4D Printing during 2nd F2F WG 12 meeting in 2019. WG 12 appoints François Coallier as Convenor of the AHG 1.
The Terms of Reference are as follows:
1) Provide a description of key concepts and terminology related to 4D Printing.
2) Study and document the technological, market and related societal requirements for ICT Standardization on 4D Printing.
3) Study and document current technologies that are being deployed
to enable 4D Printing.
4) Assess the current state of standardization activities relevant to 4D Printing in other relevant ISO and IEC TCs, in other SDOs and in consortia
5) Identify and propose how JTC 1 could address ICT standardization
needs of 4D Printing.
6) Provide a progress report to the 3rd F2F WG 12 meeting including recommendations for further study and/or potential NWIPs.
During 2nd F2F meeting, JTC 1/WG 12 also agrees the establishment of Ad Hoc Group (AHG) 2 on Overview and Vocabulary with the following Terms of Reference:
1) Aggregation of a definition of terminology related to 3D printing and scanning
2) Document overview and use case in various industry area
WG 12 appoints Hwanyoung Lee as the convenor of the AHG 2.
WG 12 members come from 14 National Bodies, ISO and IEC Central Office and Liaison. National Bodies include Austria, Canada, China, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea (Republic of), Sweden, United Kingdom, and United States.
ISO/IEC WD 23510, Information technology – 3D Printing and Scanning – Framework for Additive Manufacturing Service Platform (AMSP)
WG 12 established liaisons with 14 ISO, IEC and JTC 1 internal entities and 4 external entities. (’19)
1) ISO/TC 106
2) ISO/TC 150
3) ISO/TC 184/SC 1
4) ISO/TC 184/SC 4
5) ISO/TC 215
6) ISO/TC 261
7) IEC/TC 62
8) JTC 1/SC 24
9) JTC 1/SC 28
10) JTC 1/SC 29
11) JTC 1/SC 31
12) JTC 1/SC 38
13) JTC 1/SC 41
14) JTC 1/SC 42
No. External (Category C Liaison)
1) Web 3D Consortium
2) Khronos Group
3) DICOM WG 17
4) ASTM F42
st SG 3 F2F Meeting was held in May 24-26, 2017 in Seoul, Korea
The 2 nd SG 3 F2F Meeting was held in August 29-31, 2017 in Montreal, Canada
st WG 12 F2F Meeting was held in October 15-17, 2018 in Seoul, Korea
The 2 nd WG 12 F2F Meeting was held in February 26-28, 2019 in New York, United State